Monday, January 3, 2011

After Cape Town and December…

When I came back from Cape Town- I was thrown into a series of exams that I really hadn’t studied for. I think I did quite well, but I haven’t actually seen my report yet!

I didn’t do much during exams as my host sister was quite busy studying so I stayed home most of the time. I went skating, went to a friends house before some of the exams, went to gym and did some Zumba dancing classes, and celebrated my host grandparent’s anniversary as well as Ma’s birthday.

          IMG_2491                     IMG_2586 

        This is the sun… weird right?                          Pretty Rainbow :)

IMG_4106On the 20th of November we had an overnight Rotary IMG_4114Conference- but it was just the  one night. It was mostly for the outbounds… just training and stuff but we had lots of fun just staying up and asking questions and getting to know  each other. It was really sad having to say goodbye to everyone though… It’s probably the worst part about the Exchange program- saying goodbye.

On the 29th I received a package of birthday cards from IMG_4188 Canada- and I promise I didn’t open any until my birthday!!! The next day was my last exam so I went to a friends house afteIMG_4218r school. And then the day after that (Dec 1st) there was a Liquid Deep concert at a nearby mall! It was sooooo cool. I know half of the people reading this don’t really know who Liquid Deep is but here’s a link to one of his songs- he makes really good house music ( Liquid Deep- Angel).  Then on the Second I moved in with my friend Alexa for a night, and had a small birthday party on Friday the 3rd.  I then moved onto another friends house, Ashleigh, who hosted me for a few nights, one of which was my birthday!!!

We stayed up until 12:01 and Ash and my other friend Paige sang me Happy birthday.IMG_4238 IMG_4243We then went to bed and got up at 8 or so. We had cake and sparkling fruit cider for breakfast ( I got to pop it like it was Champagne! It was so much fun!!) as well as poached eggs on toast- which is my all time favourite breakfast ever. I opened all my cards and guess what I got…. KRAFT DINNER!! I still havent IMG_4256eaten it yet but I was sooo happy. Thanks to everyone who sent me a card…We then went to the movies and saw Spud (a very South   African movie), and then I went with Alexa, Clarice, and my two host brothers Chad and Matt to Zoolake. We didn’t really do much there- but just relax and laugh and stuff. Then my other friend Telisha was having a braai with her family that doubled as a birthday party. We ate and ate and ate, it was awesome. Telisha, my friend Rossco and myself then decided to not go to bed- but rather stay up as long as possible to see the sun rise. It was actually a lot of fun just sitting up talking- but as soon as the sun came up we went to sleep.

On Dec 6th I moved into my new host families home- Rotarians John and Alison Turner. They’re really nice and have a lot of pets- 3 dogs (2 German Sheppards, 1 Husky) and 2 cats (1 Siamese and one Ginger cat). Also they have a cottage on the property that hosts Alison’s parents who are also Rotarians-Margaret and Norman. Although they work all day they are very involved in their family and are usually quite busy in the evenings- which keeps me busy! I get along quite well with my new host cousins- Megan (28) and Michael (19) and have spent quite a bit of time getting to know them better. Megan is like my new big sister :). IMG_4572

IMG_4506Then on the 15th I had the priveledge of going to Kruger park  until the 19th. I brought  my friend Diana, who is also an exchange student from France with me. Although I was sick for the fIMG_4591irst few days we managed to get to the park twice. Where we were staying is calIMG_4648led Sabie Park- and you can literally see Kruger National Park from Sabie Park. It was  incredible. Even just driving to our houIMG_5026se we saw about 10 giraffe, 3 zebra, 4 warthog an  ostrich and 2 wildebeests. We eveIMG_4774n have a bush baby living somewhere in the roof of the house!! While we were in the  park we saw almost all the animals we wanted to- except for  Lions, only paw prints. We saw impala, water buffalo, IMG_4548hippo, elephants, rhinos, crocodIMG_4934iles, turtles, birds, baboons and kudu on the first day- which was 39 degrees C!!! And on the  second day we saw more elephants,  water buffaIMG_5046lo, kudu, a tawny eagle, giraffe, rhino, and a leopard!! And you won’t believe what happened- while we IMG_4831were outside  playing UNO, a baboon came into the house and stole a package of peanuts!!IMG_4727 Hahahah!!

P.s. Sorry if this is hard to read, it is quite difficult to get all the pictures in!

IMG_4912

 

 

IMG_4850

IMG_4909

My room, complete with mozzie net        Me and Diana                        Big Snail!!!

and dead zebra…

No comments:

Post a Comment